Arti kata: Sign - definisi
Meaning / definition of: Sign
1. (noun.) a public display of a message (sign)
"He posted signs in all the shop windows"
2. (noun.) (medicine) any objective evidence of the presence of a disorder or disease (sign)
"There were no signs of asphyxiation"
3. (noun.) a gesture that is part of a sign language (sign)
4. (noun.) a fundamental linguistic unit linking a signifier to that which is signified (sign)
"The bond between the signifier and the signified is arbitrary"--de Saussure"
5. (noun.) a character indicating a relation between quantities (sign)
(isyarat, simbol, tanda)
"Don't forget the minus sign"
6. (verb.) be engaged by a written agreement (sign)
"He signed to play the casino on Dec. 18"
"The soprano signed to sing the new opera"
7. (verb.) place signs, as along a road (sign)
"Sign an intersection"
"This road has been signed"
8. (verb.) communicate in sign language (sign)
"I don't know how to sign, so I could not communicate with my deaf cousin"
9. (noun.) a perceptible indication of something not immediately apparent (as a visible clue that something has happened) (sign, mark)
"He showed signs of strain"
"They welcomed the signs of spring"
10. (noun.) structure displaying a board on which advertisements can be posted (signboard, sign)
"The highway was lined with signboards"
11. (noun.) having an indicated pole (as the distinction between positive and negative electric charges) (polarity, sign)
"He got the polarity of the battery reversed"
"Charges of opposite sign"
12. (verb.) mark with one's signature; write one's name (on) (sign, subscribe)
"She signed the letter and sent it off"
"Please sign here"
13. (verb.) approve and express assent, responsibility, or obligation (sign, ratify)
(bertanggung jawab, menandatangani, mengesahkan, meratifikasi)
"All parties ratified the peace treaty"
"Have you signed your contract yet?"
14. (verb.) make the sign of the cross over someone in order to call on God for protection; consecrate (bless, sign)
15. (noun.) any nonverbal action or gesture that encodes a message (signal, signaling, sign)
(alamat, isyarat, petunjuk, tanda)
"Signals from the boat suddenly stopped"
16. (noun.) an event that is experienced as indicating important things to come (augury, sign, foretoken, preindication)
(alamat, lambang, pertanda)
"He hoped it was an augury"
"It was a sign from God"
17. (verb.) engage by written agreement (sign, contract, sign on, sign up)
(membuat, mengadakan, mengerut, upah)
"They signed two new pitchers for the next season"
18. (verb.) communicate silently and non-verbally by signals or signs (sign, signal, signalize, signalise)
"He signed his disapproval with a dismissive hand gesture"
"The diner signaled the waiters to bring the menu"
19. (noun.) (astrology) one of 12 equal areas into which the zodiac is divided (sign of the zodiac, star sign, sign, mansion, house, planetary house)